Whether you are without Twitter, new to the game or an avid user, perhaps these thoughts will provide some perspective to the possibilities of what you can accomplish through the social media tool known as Twitter. What Twitter is not: a replacement for face-to-face, real world engagement with others. It’s not an excuse for one way conversation or disengagement with others. What Twitter is: a way to develop meaningful relationships, start conversations, and share your passions in life. It is a way for you to expand your influence in a variety of ways. As You Go Unto The World…Use Twitter! Twitter is:
1. A way to model leadership. Most of the people you lead can’t follow you around every day. They can however, follow you on Twitter and hear your thoughts, experiences and interactions with others. Twitter is a powerful way to model leadership for others, use it!
2. A way to provide resources for personal or spiritual growth. Micro-blogging through Twitter allows for concise challenges or thoughts in 140 characters or less! It also allows one to easily link to other resources that you think others may find helpful. Social media is all about giving and contributing, and less about taking and needing. Keep this in mind as you provide thoughts or material that will help others.
3. A way to be vulnerable and open to the world. Vulnerability involves humility and can even help develop a realistic view of yourself. When you write about your mess ups, you remind yourself and the world that you are a real person, flaws and all! When you are vulnerable and realistic about your short-comings, you become more aware of them, and are much more likely to grow as a result.
4. A way to develop new relationships. I’ve personally developed dozens of meaningful relationships with Tweeps from all walks of life. Many have encouraged, taught and challenged me, some have been encouraged, taught and challenged by me.
5. A way to build existing relationships. Twitter allows us to stay in contact and keep up with friends and family. While I may not care as much what they are having for lunch, I do love to know about what they are thinking and experiencing in life. When we do meet in person, the conversation is usually much more informed and fun!
6. A way to show personal or spiritual progress. When you are stretched or challenged in an area, Twitter allows instant sharing with the world. One of the best ways to learn something is to immediately apply and share what you are learning with others. Share this progress with others and push them to grow and develop!
7. A way to connect and learn from the rest of the world. I follow people all over the world and dialogue daily with people from other countries and cultures. Twitter is a great way to get out of your little box and open yourself up to people and places you otherwise may never meet or see. Twitter allows you to be out there while still being here.
What are other good reasons to use Twitter? Please share.
Here is a Twitter Guidebook for help getting started or furthering your influence on Twitter. If you dig TheWayItCouldBe.com, subscribe by email at the top of the page. This week, we’ll be giving away 3 copies of The Christian Atheist, so be sure to go HERE to register and come back tomorrow for the first winner!