49 Practical Ways to Make Someone’s Day
Repost: The “everydayness” of life can often lull us to sleep. We always want the next big thing, the next big breakthrough. Wake up baby! Listen reader, life is but a breath: here today and gone tomorrow! If we aren’t careful, we can miss the small opportunities that are right underneath our busy little noses. I wrote this post at 6am at a Panera in OKC and had already taken advantage of two opportunities in the restaurant to make someone’s day (and I am by nature a pretty selfish person). Know that you can make someone’s day with the simplest act! The below list doesn’t contain ideas, but practical examples from real life!
Here are 49 Practical Ways to Make Someone’s Day:
1. Smile at someone, this is a totally unexpected way to uplift the spirit of a stranger.
2. Remember someone’s name. I am horrible at this, but it means a lot.
3. Ask someone if you can pray for them.
4. Really pray for them.
5. Spend real, quality time with a friend or loved one.
6. Connect with someone you don’t know on Twitter or Facebook.
7. Read their profile & find out something about them; they are a real person like you!
8. Don’t have an affair w/ Twitter (27 Signs You Are Having an Affair With Facebook or Twitter).
9. Stop and think. Your influence will be multiplied when you sit still & think about your life.
10. Pay for a stranger’s drink or meal.
11. Pay for someone’s movie at Blockbuster.
12. Let people in parking lots or in traffic go ahead of you.
13. Wave at your neighbor (and don’t whisper under your breath).
14. Better yet, walk across the street & say hi to your neighbor!
15. Pray for someone on Facebook.
16. Pray for someone through Twitter.
17. Call a friend & leave them a voice message about what you see & appreciate about them.
18. Confront a friend about something. They may not think you are making their day, but you are being a true friend!
19. Open the door for an older person.
20. Open the door for a little kid.
21. Open the door for anyone!
22. Open a car door for your wife guys, come on!
23. Do something completely unexpected for a friend just to show them you care.
24. Listen when someone is talking to you.
25. Really listen!!
26. Write a hand-written note to a friend & drop it in the mail.
27. Do something that costs nothing, but means everything (20 Tweetable Truths)!
28. Be you! Stop trying to impress. You’ll make someone’s day just by being you!
29. Partner w/ a local organization & help a poor family (10 Ways to Fight Domestic Poverty).
30. Partner w/ a local church & help a community (When Church & Culture Collide).
31. Encourage somebody that you know needs encouragement!
32. Make the Ultimate Someone’s day & accept love from your Creator!
33. Skip a meal & use the money to do something for someone else.
34. Help a homeless person that everyone else overlooks.
35. Think of someone you totally can’t stand and love them in a real way.
36. Get 10 other people together and go make someone’s day.
37. Visit a nursing home & walk around & listen to stories of the elderly.
38. Leave a waitress or waiter a big tip.
39. When an employee impresses you, speak to their boss to let them know how impressed you are.
40. When you don’t feel like making someone’s day, do it anyway.
41. Build a relationship.
42. Invest in a kid that no one cares about.
43. Invest in a teenager that no one cares about.
44. Tell a cop thank you for making a difference in the community.
45. Tell a member of the armed forces how thankful you are for their sacrifice.
46. Take care of yourself emotionally, spiritually & physically so you can live outside yourself!
47. Share a scripture with someone else.
48. Tell someone you appreciate who they are (not just what they do).
49. Think about all the people you come in contact with in a day, then get after it & make their day!
Ok, you may be thinking: this stuff is not me…. I would like to challenge you to step outside of yourself and try to make one person’s day tonight. Start small, then go big! You can have influence wherever you are, regardless of who you are! The small effects from your willingness to be used can have far-reaching impact on society!
What are some other practical ways to make someone’s day? Please share…
If you deal with pride, check out How to Get Drunk Without Drinking. You may also dig Forget the Joneses, Be Different! or Social Media Ain’t About Me! 5 Ways to Be Selfless on Facebook or Twitter or Becoming Uncomfortable & 25 Ways to Become a Christian Atheist